Mar 28,2011

From the first time I interviewed actress Shantel Van Santen I could tell she had a special heart. She told me about an eighth grade paper of hers in which she wrote that even though she was unsure of what she wanted to do with her life, what she had known for sure was that she wanted to make a difference in the lives of others with whatever she did. Her sincere care for others only further continued to prove itself after every subsequent interview and conversation we had. Spend just a few moments in Shantel’s warm and humble presence and you quickly come to learn that she exudes both kindness and genuineness in a way that gives her a type of authenticity only left to be admired.

The One Tree Hill star wanted to share her personal story in hopes of connecting with and helping those struggling like she had. She emphasizes on the significance that all of us embracing our differences and defining what’s beautiful for ourselves can have on our society today. Shantel’s inspiring message tells girls that the only real kind of beauty with a definite impact on YOUR life is the one that comes from within you.

Thank you so much Shantel for joining Team True Beauty! We are thrilled to have you be a part of this campaign!

via Shantel Van Santen: “Every part that’s beautiful in us is found in our hearts” – National showbiz | Examiner.com.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 28th, 2011 at 3:35 pm and is filed under Shantel VanSanten/Quinn. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

12 Responses to “Examiner: Shantel Van Santen: “Every part that’s beautiful in us is found in our hearts””

1. Comment by weenie in March 29, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Nice aritcle and I totally understand where she is coming from but……I find it very hard to swallow coming from a girl who has a kick ass body like Shantel. I think we need to hear from real people with real bodies. Maybe she should’ve told the writers not to flaunt her in bikini’s and sexy loungere. That might also help with yound girls body images and wanting to look like Shantel in a bikini. To me she is not someone who is at all insecure with her body type and image. And I am sure she works damn hard to maintain that body, so much for embracing your body type and excepting who you are. Must’ve been tough on her to accept that she has long legs, a nice size butt and good boobs. Gorgeous celebraties shouldn’t be speaking for the average girl or woman!

2. Comment by mark in March 30, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

so she shouldnt be allowed to show support because she has a ‘kick ass body’? yeaaaah ok…..

3. Comment by weenie in March 30, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Get an actress like Sara Ramirez (Grey’s Anatomy) to talk about body image and making it in this industry and loving your body even though you don’t fit the mold of most actresses. She is someone that most girls and woman can relate too @mark!! Shantel might have other things she might be insecure about but body is definitely not one of them.

4. Comment by Emm in March 30, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Dear weenie, she IS a human being even though she is HOT.
    Human being= fears, lack of self-confidence

5. Comment by mark in March 30, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

yeah i get it, you want someone you can relate to but you shouldnt discourage people from showing support based on looks either thats just as bad.

6. Comment by Laurel in March 31, 2011 @ 10:32 am

I think the point Shantel is trying to make is that no matter what someone looks like they may also have insecurities. I may feel badly because my hips are too big, but someone else may look at me and wish they had hips like mine. Everyone, no matter their size or shape, can feel insecure about the way they look. And in the end, it doesn’t really matter because whatever you look like is the way you are supposed to be… don’t waste time feeling badly about or trying to change something you have no control over.

7. Comment by weenie in March 31, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

I am talking about people who have real weight issues, not the ones who think they look fat but aren’t. I am talking about the girls who don’t get the right acting roles because of their weight or who can’t fit right into all the designer clothing or fashion that is available. The ones who struggle with weight and self esteem because they are over weight not because they “think” they could stand to lose a few pounds. Trust me, if Shantel didn’t look the way she did, their is no way she would ever feel comfortable parading in bikini’s, sexy nighties and tiny clothes on camera. Someone who looks like Shantel cannot possibly relate to a girl who weights 200 pounds and is 5 ft tall. A person like that wants to see people like her rise above and share their success stories. It is like Paris Hilton campaigning for poor people and trying to relate to them. The Dove commercials had it right when they started using real woman, flaws and all in the commercials instead of these gorgeous models that have perfect flawless skin. The fact that Shantel started out in modeling at such a young age would only mean that she was well aware that she had the looks and what it takes to be a model. I don’t see any insecurities about that. In fact it takes confidence to usually pursue modeling and acting. She just felt the pressures of the business once she was in it.

All I am saying is if they want to reach the average girl/person they need to pick celebrities who aren’t so “perfect” and don’t fit the typical mold who could be true role models and inspiration for anyone who struggles with self esteem and body images. Personally for me if I were in that situation I wouldn’t really take what Shantel had to say seriously and probably roll my eyes at her.

8. Comment by mark in April 1, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

so you dont want people to be excluded based on looks? which is what you said about shantel. she shouldnt show support because she doesnt have what you define a weight issue. kind of hypocritical.

9. Comment by weenie in April 1, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

She can show support but it is laughable with her trying to use her experiences to relate. I am not the hypocrite is it the celebrities that preach “love thy self no matter what” but yet diet, exercise and have been blessed with good genes. Come on are we really suppose to look at Shantel as say “wow she has/had it tough”. If she is trying to tell people that she has let herself go after modeling which makes it even worse because she looks like that without even trying, so really who is she trying to support. If anything it only adds more fuel to the fire.

10. Comment by mark in April 1, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

well we obviously wont agree lol so lets put the fuel can down

11. Comment by Jamie in April 6, 2011 @ 5:52 am

I”m sorry, but I have to completely agree with mark on this. It’s unfair in my opinion to judge Shantel and claim she doesn’t have insecurities, because of your perception of her body type when you have no possible way of knowing whether she has insecurities about herself or not. She has every right to speak out about this and it doesn’t detract from the message in my personal opinion. You don’t want people excluded, but yet you’re saying Shantel shouldn’t be allowed to talk about this because she has what YOU perceive to be a ‘perfect body.’ To someone else, she might not have the ‘perfect body.’ Everybody’s standards and perceptions are different. I think you’re being kind of harsh and unfair, but that’s just my personal opinion.

12. Comment by KK in January 13, 2012 @ 12:55 am

@ Weenie : I agree with Jamie & Mark. Shantel has a rockin’ body, sure, but that means nothing as far as self-confidence goes. I am tall & skinny. Yes, I work hard at staying shape, but having a fit body does not mean I am super confident & working out does not mean I am insecure. I know girls who weigh 30 lbs more than I do and are 5 inches shorter who are far more comfortable with their bodies, but some of them also sturggle with health issues due to poor diets – not all of them, mind you.

Your comment that says “the celebrities that preach “love thy self no matter what” but yet diet, exercise and have been blessed with good genes” are hypocrites is twisted. There is nothing wrong with exercising, eating right, and promoting self-love. Those right there are reasons for a person to be a role model. Someone who hates themself, sits around doing nothing, and eats nothing but junk is not someone I would want my kids looking up to.